Not many people these days get personally involved in overhauling engines, which may make these ‘Ten Commandments’ even more useful for the novice at his first attempt.
1. Thou shalt remove the ring ridge before pulling the piston lest thou render thy pistons unfit to hold oil or compression.
2. Thou shalt remove with hot soapy water every last trace of dirt or abrasive material before assembly, or verily the owner shall later return and beat thee with rods in anger that his new rings so rapidly wore out.
3. Thou shalt make sure that the piston ring gaps are spaced an equal distance apart and arranged so that there is no gap over the piston ring boss and all the drain holes in the pistons are clear lest the job haunt the owner with a pillar of smoke all the days of his life.
4. Thou shalt follow closely the manufacturer’s instructions concerning ring and bearing fits, piston clearances and the like, for this is indeed the only true gospel and the way to real peace of mind.
5. Thou shalt not fit piston pins too loosely or too tightly, lest it causeth the motor to make the sound of many hammers, requiring the job to be done again without the benefit of shekels.
6. Thou shalt not stretch the rings over the piston without a ring installer, nor fling thy pistons into the bores without a ring compressor, or verily will both the rings and thy reputation be damaged.
7. Thou shalt NOT reuse the old head gasket. Cast it from thee as though it were a pestilence – drape it not upon the top of thy locker, but drop it into a container for rubbish.
8. Thou shalt use a torque wrench to tighten thy bearing caps and head bolts all the days of your life for this is the only true path to substantial reward.
9. Thou shalt not start the engine that is so stiff the starter will not turn it. Verily does this mean that thou hast sinned in thy fittings and clearances therefore I say “retrace thy steps in order to discover in what manner thou hast sinned.”
10. Thou shalt use a light oil until the rings are seated in or they may NEVER seat in, then the cylinder head shall be anointed with oil for evermore and the owner shall bring down curses and the wrath of the Department of Consumer Affairs upon thy head.
FOLLOW THESE COMMANDMENTS AND THOU WILT BECOME A WISE MAN AND PROPHET, YEA – PRAISE AND REWARD WILL BE HEAPED UPON THEE AND THY CUSTOMERS.